Sunday, 24 May 2015

Menstruation in India

A woman's menstruation remains a serious concern for India.
Its not easy for an Indian woman when it comes to her monthly menstruation cycle.

Find out why?

  1. A menstruating woman is dirty, impure and cursed. A menstruating woman is going through her natural and biological process. Calling her impure, dirty or cursed is not right.
  2. A menstruating woman should not enter the temple. In olden days, people did not know about reproduction and the menstrual process, but now everybody is made aware of this during their studies in school. At-least one person in a family is educated. Then why believe in such superstitions. She is simply going through a normal bodily function and that will not anger 'GOD' if she enters the temple.
  3. A menstruating woman should not enter the kitchen. Woman are told that will poison food if they cook food and rotten the pickle. In olden days, it was difficult for a woman to maintain hygiene and so the rule was made. Also a woman goes through discomfort during her periods, for her to take rest they asked her not to go to the kitchen. Now, it is not so difficult to maintain hygiene, almost every home has a bathroom and a toilet attached. Prohibiting her from entering into the kitchen is not good.
  4. Nobody should touch a girl or a woman during her periods.Let me tell you a woman is going through a natural process and nothing can harm if you touch her.
  5. Do not water plants during periods.It is said plants would dry up and die. In olden days this was followed so that a woman gets complete rest.
  6. Do not bath during a period. Bathing or washing your hair during a period will increase the flow. This is absolutely not true. Go and have a good bath and feel fresh.
  7. No exercise, you should always rest. Exercising is a great way to keep yourself away from cramps because it supplies oxygen to your muscles.
  8. Talking to your daughter about periods before she starts will only scare her. It's always a good idea to be open and honest with your daughter. Because girls typically begin menstruation any time between the ages of 9 and 16 (for most girls, between 11 and 13), it’s hard as a parent to know when to broach that topic. You should look for signs in your daughter’s development like budding breasts, an increase in perspiration, pimples and underarm hair. These clues can help you to know that she has entered puberty and you should continue (or open) the dialogue. If you don’t talk to her first, she may be scared when she starts bleeding.
  9. Your period should last for exactly one week. This is not true. Everybody's period is different and can be from three to seven days.
I have made a note of few points but there are many myths I am sure.

You might now ask me "Did no one restrict you for anything?". 
My reply is "Yes, they did. They asked me not to visit temples or attend any religious functions. I stay out just to respect them and not hurt their feelings, because they are old people and they may not understand all this. But I have tried to put in my best efforts to make them understand that it is wrong to do so and believe me my granny was convinced. Definitely I am not going to pose any restrictions on my next generation or anybody younger to me".

A friend of mine says she has to sit in the balcony during her periods and food is served there in separate plates. She is not allowed to bath nor use the common bathroom. 

A look at major religions of the world shows that, without exception, they have placed restrictions on menstruating women. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism have all made statements about menstruation and its negative effect on women, leading to prohibitions about physical intimacy, cooking, attending places of worship, and sometimes requiring women to live separately from men at this time. 

I wrote this because an understanding of these beliefs will help in dealing with people of these faiths.
Only through true understanding we can properly modify our approaches and remove obsolete superstitions from everyday life.

I request all my Indian sisters and anybody reading this please reach out to more and more woman of India and tell them that menstruating is not a sin or a shameful thing. 

Next time when someone restricts you take it as a social responsibility to educate them.
They may not be able to understand it but try your best.

I AM DOING MY BIT. ARE YOU?

Have a look at the below article and you will understand why I am insisting on this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2952950/Women-period-rot-pickle-poison-food-Indian-myths-claim.html

For any questions, please feel free to write back to me at rash.desai09@gmail.com or comment below.




4 comments:

  1. i totally agree with you...thank you for such a lovely article

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very few people are bold enough to write such articles...good initiative

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family every time say that I am wasting my time
    here at net, but I know I am getting knowledge all the
    time by reading such good posts.

    My web site Couples therapy

    ReplyDelete