Social networking websites like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter allow users to create their own web pages to put up information about themselves and interact with other like minded individuals. Such sites have become an indispensable part of our everyday life. We hardly manage to stay away from it.
Remember, online social networking is not your personal diary. Millions of people can get access to what you post. Although useful, these sites are not risk-free. So precautions must be taken while using these sites. Few of them are :
- Do not upload the photos of the costly items nor of the jewellery on the sites such as facebook. If your friends are doing something of this sort, ask them not to do so.
- Don't ever upload photos which exhibit the splendour and grandeur of your home showing all those valuable accessories inviting criminals to visit your house.
- Don't share your plans of going on a trip with your friends until you come back from your journey. Share it after you return from your tour.
- Take prior permission from your friend before tagging a photo of your friend.
- Add only the people only you know.
- Phishers and identity thieves might create fake profiles in order to get information from you. Only upload necessary and relevant information and do not make available sensitive data like intimate photographs, bank account numbers and credit card details.
- Hackers can break into accounts and send messages that look like they are from your friends, but aren’t.
- Be cautious while clicking links that you receive in messages. They could hold a virus in them or they could lead you to a phishing site.
- Type the address of your networking site directly into your browser or use your personal bookmarks. Clicking a link to your site through an e-mail or another website may lead you to enter your account name and password into a fake site set up to steal your personal information.
- No matter there are neither associates nor your boss in your friends list, don't indulge in wrong comments about your office, boss or associates.
- Don’t forget to logout while using a public pc.
- Don’t send confidential materials through a social site.
Minimise your exposure to risks by taking reasonable precautions for a happy and safe social networking!